The New Mexico Family Friendly Business Award® was formed by the Task Force on Work-Life Balance. The program recognizes New Mexico employers that offer family friendly employee benefits and it works to increase the number of businesses with family centered policies available to the workforce. The purpose of the award is to recognize and support businesses that adopt and implement family friendly policies for their employees. Below is a list of Award Levels, Policy Categories and Awardee Benefits.
→Watch the video!
Platinum (Distinguished Leader)
Recipients meet at least two family friendly policy in each of the first four categories plus one policy in each of the three Platinum level categories and receive the family friendly business award seal and a certificate of recognition that they can use in their business materials and promotion.
Gold (Committed Leader)
Recipients meet at least one family friendly policy in each of the four categories and receive the family friendly business award seal and a certificate of recognition that they can use in their business materials and promotion.
Silver (Rising Leader)
Recipients meet any three family friendly policies and receive the family friendly business “on the pathway” seal and a certificate of recognition that they can use in their business materials and promotion.
Bronze (On the Pathway)
Recipients meet two or less family friendly policies and receive information and educational materials so they can continue on the path to a more family friendly business.
Award selection is based on the following family friendly policy categories:
Click here for a PDF of the application >>
CATEGORY ONE: Paid Leave
- Personal leave (school involvement, sick employee, training/professional development, vacation)
- Maternity/paternity leave
- Family leave (caring for aging parents, children, domestic partner)
CATEGORY TWO: Health Support
- Breastfeeding/lactation support (could include a designated area for pumping/breastfeeding)
- Healthcare (employer subsidized health or dental insurance)
- Wellness programs (such as wellness assessments, screenings, education, health coaching, organized wellness activities, onsite preventative care such as immunizations, interventions such as smoking cessation, incentive and/or paid time off for wellness activities).
- Reasonable accommodations for workers who have medical needs arising out of pregnancy (allowing to avoid heavy lifting, stay off ladders)
CATEGORY THREE: Work Schedules
- Flexible work scheduling (such as 4 10–hour days or other adjustable scheduling)
- Job Sharing (such as two or more part–time employees share one full–time position)
- Telecommuting (work from remote location at least some of the time)
- Predictable scheduling (providing at least two weeks’ notice of work schedules and/or premium pay for changes in work schedules made with short notice)
CATEGORY FOUR: Economic Support
- Higher than average wages in your industry
- Employer subsidized training/educational assistance
- Retirement/asset building available
- Employer subsidized or on-site childcare or dependent care (such as aging parents, or on/near–site childcare)
- Employer supported short-term financial stability options (small-dollar lending with repayment available via payroll deductions, access to financial capability training/coaching)
New Mexico Laws
- Ensure compliance with the Nursing Mothers’ Rights at Work Statute
- Ensure compliance with the Job-Protected Leave, Domestic Violence and the Workplace Statute
- Ensure compliance with the New Mexico Fair Pay for Women Act
- Ensure compliance with the New Mexico Human Rights Act
- Ensure compliance with the New Mexico Healthy Workplaces Act (compliance will be added to application October 2021)
CATEGORY FIVE (PLATINUM ONLY): Pay Equity
- Business/organization evaluates pay by job classification and gender
- Is this information available to employees if they ask?
- Is this information public? If yes, how is it made available?
- Business allows or encourages employees to discuss pay with co-workers
- Policies ensure compliance with the New Mexico Fair Pay for Women Act
CATEGORY SIX (PLATINUM ONLY): Diversity & Inclusion
- Policies related to diversity & inclusion for staff and/or board
- Goals related to diversity in your hiring process
- If you have a board, goals in place for diversity of members
- Diversity programs or employee networks for the following: race, gender, age, disability, LGBTQ, veterans, other
- Training provided to your employees on diversity & inclusion
CATEGORY SEVEN (PLATINUM ONLY): Community Investment
- Policies related to supporting employees investing time and/or money in our/their community
- Paid time for volunteering (such as community service or community boards)
- Employer-matched donations
We encourage you to apply for the Family Friendly Business Award® and share your best practices with the community and receive recognition for your family friendly policies.
Q: Why should I apply for the Family Friendly Business Award®?
A: Research indicates businesses with family friendly practices enjoy higher employee retention, improved organizational citizenship behavior and better work attitudes. In addition, these companies are generally more profitable. Read the Family Friendly New Mexico Business Case (2020-2021).
Q: Will it cost me a lot of money to institute family friendly practices?
A: Several studies have shown that the improved financial performance of a business will make up for any additional costs.
Q: Why else is it important for me to promote family friendly practices?
A. You can help create a positive domino effect: when families are successful, businesses are successful and when businesses are successful, so is the local economy.
Q: When will I learn if I am getting the award?
A: Successful applications will be awarded live on the website immediately upon completion of the application. If you qualify, you will automatically receive an email with your digital seal & certificate. If you do not qualify you will receive an email with information on how to improve your policies for future application.
Q: Is there any other public recognition?
A: Each year, Family Friendly New Mexico hosts an Awards Luncheon to recognize awardees. In addition, businesses will be recognized during the annual New Mexico State Legislative session. Awardees are recognized through press releases, and advertising throughout the year.
Recognition as an awardee will include:
- Email and website recognition. All current awardees are listed on the Family Friendly New Mexico website
- Free print advertising. All awardees are listed in the 4-page insert published by Albuquerque Business First for the annual awards luncheon. Awardees and sponsors of the initiative are also listed on up to 3-6 print and digital ads per year.
- Platinum & Gold level awardees are mentioned in print advertising throughout the year.
- Visibility on social media as a family friendly business through our recognition posts.
- Press releases highlighting new awardees.
- The family friendly seal for the Silver, Gold and Platinum levels are provided in a digital format to use in marketing materials and hiring documents and a window cling is mailed to each awardee to display in your workplace.
- Special invites to Family Friendly NM events
- CEU accredited event opportunities for all awardees to support the community of HR professionals that help drive family friendly policies in the workplace.
- An online toolkit for businesses owners and HR professionals to gain more knowledge about family friendly policies and how to implement them in the workplace.
- A network of support. Family Friendly New Mexico’s educational events provide a unique opportunity for attendees to collaborate and share their successes and challenges to develop business strategies that really work.
- Finally, all awardees are invited to be recognized on stage and receive their award at the Annual Family Friendly Business Awards Luncheon. Photos of each business receiving their award can be downloaded on the family friendly website as well as team photos, videos and the event program which includes the full list of current awardees.